Thursday 7 May 2009

The Taste Test...Canapés

If I was an insane person I would TOTALLY have done our wedding catering. I come from a catering background, and every party I've catered for at home as well as the catering for our engagement party was kick ass! But realistically, on our wedding day, the last bit of stress I needed was making sure food was being handled and cooked properly.

So have had to put my trust into an outside caterer... we visited their unit out in Essex - the stress getting there was unbelievable - took I think 40 minutes to get around the roundabout
(>。≪) when normally that should take 5!!! Never seen traffic like it!

As we had chosen a buffet menu, for some reason we couldn't try out the dishes - but I guess cooking a joint of beef, or a hunk of turkey for two and a half people (the half being my son!) wasn't viable for them? But we got to try the canapés and the desserts we had picked.

Anyway, we finally made it and sat down at a table presented with our chosen canapés. We visited Magpie last summer and our choices have changed slightly, but I only have photos from the taste test we did then.

Mini Vegetable Spring Rolls with Thai Chilli Dipping Sauce

Spring Roll Canapes


Cocktail Vegetable Samosas with Mint & Yoghurt Dip

Vegetable Samosa Canapes


Mini Jacket Potatoes with Sour Cream & Chives

Mini Jacket Potato Canape


These all tasted fine and satisfied 3 of the 4 veggie choices we had. The mini jacket potatoes were so cute! I love all things mini ♥

The fourth veggie choice was

Goats Cheese and Red Onion Marmalade Tartlet

Red Onion Tartlet Canape


Sadly this tasted as unappetising as it looked
( `´) so we struck that off the list!

We also chose the following non-veggie canapes


Smoked Salmon on Granary Squares with a Chive and Cracked Black Pepper Finish


Smoked Salmon Canape


Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce

Chicken Satay Canape


Mini Fish n' Chips

Mini Fish n Chips Canape

This was yummy - we asked if they would be able to do them in little cones instead of shot glasses - they said it was something that they were looking into - I don't know if they ever did - I'll ask them next time I email. It would be great if they could, I think they would look so much cooler in little cones!


Mini Hamburgers


Mini Hamburger Canape

The buns were too cute, the burger a little chunky, and to be honest a little plain looking, but they tasted delish. We've asked if we can have them made into cheeseburgers instead to give a bit more oomph about it. They were also a lot bigger than I expected - the ones we had at the wedding fayre was teensy weensy! I'm glad they are bigger - at £2 a bite, they are one expensive canape!

Overall we enjoyed all of the canapes except for the tartlet, and the smoked salmon thing was a bit boring, but we had plenty of time between the tasting and the wedding, that we could change our minds... in fact the caterer said she rarely has couples who have what they originally picked on their wedding day!

TTFN xx

No comments:

Post a Comment