Thursday 7 May 2009

Cold Fork Buffet...

When I initially started planning our wedding, I never thought in a million years that we would go for a buffet - I just figured we'd do the "traditional" 3 course seated meal, but when it dawned that we had to cater for guests that are Kosher, guests that are vegetarean, vegan, lactose intolerant, fussy eaters and kids, we decided to go for a buffet, giving plenty of choice and a less formal affair to our big day.

We didn't go with a Kosher caterer, as they were budget busting... but H2b (as the Jewish one in this relationship) reliably informed me that fish was okay and didn't have to be certified Kosher unlike meat - or something... I don't really understand all the rules I'm afraid
(・_・?)

At our taste test we didn't have the opportunity to taste the foods that will be on the buffet, but as a selection of cold meats/fish and salads, I don't think that it really mattered. Whilst we were there, the chefs were preparing dishes for a buffet and we saw them, thought they were well presented so it was good enough for us!

We went for a cold fork buffet, being summer we thought this would be a nice option - especially now that the UK has been forcast a scorching hot summer.... don't fancy having hot soup and roast dinners in that weather!

Our final choices for this has been confirmed in our minds and with our caterer for a long while now, so here they are - photos are just to illustrate - I Googled them
(*^-^*) The main dishes are:



Sliced Turkey Breast Joint with Cranberry Mayo




Sliced Medium Roast Topside of Beef with Creamed Horseradish




Fresh Poached Salmon Pieces with a Cucumber Dressing - we originally went for a dressed salmon, but thought it would be too much grief with all the bones (I have chokeonafishbonephobia), plus it was extra money per person, so out went the whole salmon, and in came the pieces - but for illustration purposes, all I could find was this ^



For the vegetarians/vegans we chose a Mixed Vegetable Spanish Style Quiche


We have picked five salads to go with the main dishes:

  • Mixed Salad: Iceberg lettuce, cucumber & tomato
  • Coleslaw
  • Greek Salad: Cucumber, tomatoes, olives, feta, oregano and olive oil
  • Cous Cous salad: Fried mushrooms, fried courgette and coriander
  • Tomato, red onion and basil salad with balsamic dressing












We also have hot buttered new potatoes




and mixed rustic breads




Now, I don't know about you, but after writing that and finding pictures to go with them, I'm really hungry!! I can't wait to see how it all looks and tastes on our wedding day! I think it will go down really well!

The waiting staff will take people up, table by table to the buffet where they will be served. The top table has the option to be served - I figure this is a good idea as #1 I'll have this big huge dress on and trying to maneour round tables will be hard enough, let alone with a plate of food and b) I tend to throw food down myself, so not a good look!! And also mum would prefer to be served. I will want to take a look at the set up before it gets demolished though!!!

We are making menus to put on the tables - I haven't printed them out yet - just in case we *do* change our minds! They will be mounted like practically all the other stationery, on purple card and then black card.



TTFN xx

No comments:

Post a Comment