Thursday 9 July 2009

My Big Fat Greek Wedding....sorta!

I may, or may not have mentioned before that I am half Greek-Cypriot - and very proud of my heritage. I always wanted to have that big fat Greek wedding - with the hundreds of guests and the big white flouffy dress and the money dance etc etc etc



But as it turns out, I'm not really having that - our guest total is a modest 123 guests (approx) all day - 63 to the day and the rest to the evening reception. My dress is white, but not flouffy - doesn't go well on a plus size figure! And sadly there will be no money dance - I have dreamt of that from a kid
(^-^)

I didn't find a Greek man to marry, nor am I Greek Orthodox so getting married in an Orthodox church was out, in fact, getting married in a church is out full stop, as H2b is Jewish.

So instead I've incorporated things that make a wedding feel like the weddings I went to as a child in Cyprus. It starts with the favours, goes on with the meze starter of hoummus, taramasalta, tzaziki, pitta bread and olives and ends with Gourabethnes (sp?), that's Greek Cypriot wedding cake to you and me though
(^_-)

What is Greek Cypriot wedding cake I hear you ask - now I'm Greek Cypriot, not Greek - there's a difference (aparantly!) and they may well have these cakes in Greece as well, but I don't know. The cakes are individually wrapped parcels of yummness. Each cake is filled with a mixture of nuts - almonds and pistachios. Encased in a crumb coating then dipped in icing (powdered) sugar.... I LOVE THEM - that's if you could love a cake!!

I always knew I would have them at my wedding - regardless! We are having a regular 3 tiered cake too, but this is my own indulgence - people are gonna be caked out - and if they leave them behind.....more for me....!

I was out in Cyprus for my sister's wedding in May. Dad organised the buying of the cakes for us, and carefully we transported 100 of these babies in our luggage back to Blighty... panicked going through customs, but we's cool, we's cool.

I present our Greek Cypriot Wedding Cakes

Cypriot Wedding Cakes

It may not look it, but there are 100 of the parcels of deliciousness in there - they weigh a TON! Thank God I've been lifting weights at the gym
(*^-^*)

They are a bit plain looking usually - just wrapped in white plastic-y paper, so I prettied them up with some purple curling ribbon and made little tags to go on them. They look so cute!

Cypriot  Wedding Cake

TTFN xx

No comments:

Post a Comment